Holiday Safety

Real Estate

Holiday Safety Tips:  

Buy only fire-resistant artificial trees.

Anchor the tree firmly to the stand. 

Keep pets away from Christmas tree water, as it may contain toxic fertilizer.

Stagnant tree water is also a breeding ground for bacteria.

Watch strings of lights—children can strangle on them and pets can chew them.

If you have pets, consider forgoing the tinsel. If swallowed, it can become lodged in the intestines and cause obstructions.

If you have small children, consider using larger Styrofoam or plastic tree decorations. The glass kind can break and cause cuts, and the smaller ones can get stuck in the throat and cause choking.

Place your tree so it’s not visible from the street, which can be a message to would-be burglars. 

Use timers for tree and window lights so they come on and turn off automatically, especially if you’re out of the house a lot during the holidays.

NEVER use lighted candles on the tree. 

Be extra cautious about locking doors and windows when you leave the house, even for a few minutes.

When leaving home for an extended time, have a neighbor or family member watch your house and pick up your newspapers and mail

Indoor and outdoor lights should be on an automatic timer.

Leave a radio or television on so the house looks and sounds occupied.

Large displays of holiday gifts should not be visible through the windows and doors of your home.

When setting up a Christmas tree or other holiday display, make sure doors and passageways are clear inside your home.

Be sure your Christmas tree is mounted on a sturdy base so children, elderly persons or family pets cannot pull it over on themselves.

If you use lights on your Christmas tree ensure the wiring is not damaged or frayed. Frayed or damaged wiring can cause a fire.

Place your Christmas tree in water or wet sand to keep it green.

Never place wrapping paper in your fireplace.